The Kings of Leon just put out a new albumn... and that has absolutely nothing to do with this salad unless you enjoy homophones or you like to rock out while you cook - either way - Prepare your Lyon salad while listening to the Kings of Leon or some classic jazz!
Ready to turn your home into little French bistro? This simple, yet, hearty recipe, is filled with few but delicious ingredients: Crispy bacon, poached eggs, crispy croutons and a garlicky dijon dressing made using a lovely robust extra virgin olive oil.
Lyonnaise salad (or Salad Lyonnaise) is a traditional dish hailing from the city of Lyon (touted as one of the best gastronomic cities in France). As far as salads go, this one hits all the high notes. The poached eggs act almost as a second dressing, giving credence to the bacon-fried croutons to aid in the sopping. Frisee (or gem lettuces) give a little palate play, providing some crunch. While the dressing adds notes of tart and tang, rounding out the other ingredients harmoniously.
The salad dressing in this recipe can be made a couple days in advance, especially since there is a hefty bit of prep involved with this recipe, that will certainly save a little bit on time. Frisee lettuce can be a tricky ingredient to get your hands on. Gem lettuces, arugula or even endive are all welcome substitutions.
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 – 5 thick slices slab bacon, cut into cubes
1 demi baguette (or half of a whole baguette)
1 shallot, peeled and minced
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons Coratina extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
pinch granulated sugar
5 oz frisee or gem lettuces
- Bring a large pot, filled halfway with water, to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, stir in vinegar and carefully crack in eggs. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until egg whites are firm and yolks are still a little runny. Remove from the pot using a slotted spoon.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add bacon and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon (reserving as much bacon grease in the skillet) and set aside drain on a paper towel.
- Return the skillet (with reserved grease) to medium-high heat and add baguette slices. Toast for 1 – 2 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together shallot, garlic, dijon, vinegar and olive oil until combined. Season dressing with some pepper and sugar.
- Divide lettuces between plates and top with poached eggs, bacon and croutons. Drizzle with dressing right before serving.
Leave a comment