Roasting or grilling cabbage wedges at high heat makes them crisp at the edges and tender in the middle. Stuffed with anchovies, nuts and cheese, this can be a light main course or a hearty side dish. Much easier than stuffed cabbage - lighter too!
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- ½ cup Tuscan extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Salt, as needed
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano , plus more for serving
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- ⅔ cup chopped almonds or other nuts
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill, Italian parsley or cilantro
- Indoors - Heat oven to 450 degrees OR
- Outdoor BBQ - start the coals.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters lengthwise through the core, then cut out the cores and stem.
- Place wedges on a rimmed sheet pan, flat sides down. It’s OK if the pan seems a bit crowded; the wedges will shrink as they roast, but try not to overlap them if possible. Lightly drizzle them with oil and season with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, anchovies, garlic, thyme and black pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup oil to make a loose paste. Massage paste into each cabbage wedge, stuffing the mixture in between the leaves.
- Lightly drizzle cabbage with a little more oil. Roast or grill until cabbage is lightly browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven/grill and sprinkle nuts all over the top of the cabbage. Roast for another 5 minutes or so, until cabbage is tender and caramelized and the walnuts are golden and toasted.
- Sprinkle cabbage with dill and more Parmesan and black pepper, if you’d like. Serve immediately.