I love Apple Pie... but I can't always commit to making a crust. My work around is a delicious oatmeal topping.
Easy to assemble and without butter!
It's the season to make your whole house smell delicious.
- 4 Macintosh, or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 5 tbsp. brown sugar or demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
For the crust:
- 1 cup Oats
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour or All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free Flour
- 3/4 cup brown or demerara sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lightly coat the baking dish with a tablespoon of our Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Toss the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the apples in the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, almonds, flour, sugar, cinnamon and Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Make sure the oats are coated. Spoon this mixture over the apples, evenly covering the surface.
- Bake the apple crisp for about 35 – 45 minutes, or until topping is golden and crisp and the apples are soft.
- Remove, let cool slightly and serve.